ReseñaGSM, GPRS and EDGE Performance -- Second Edition provides a complete overview of the entire GSM system. GSM (Global System for Mobile Communications) is the digital transmission technique widely adopted in Europe and supported in North America. It features comprehensive descriptions of GSM's main evolutionary milestones -- GPRS, (General Packet Radio Services) is a packet--based wireless communication service that promises data rates from 56 up to 114 Kbps and continuous connection to the Internet for mobile phone and computer users. AMR and EDGE (Enhanced Data GSM Environment), and such developments have now positioned GERAN (GSM/EDGE Radio Access Network) as a full 3G radio standard.
The radio network performance and capabilities of GSM, GPRS, AMR and EDGE solutions are studied in--depth by using revealing simulations and field trials.
Cellular operators must now roll out new 3G technologies capable of delivering wireless Internet based multimedia services in a competitive and cost--effective way and this volume, divided into three parts, helps to explain how:
1. Provides an introduction to the complete evolution of GSM towards a radio access network that efficiently supports UMTS services (GERAN). 2. Features a comprehensive study of system performance with simulations and field trials. Covers all the major features such as basic GSM, GPRS, EDGE and AMR and the full capability of the GERAN radio interface for 3G service support is envisaged.
3. Discusses different 3G radio technologies and the position of GERAN within such technologies. Featuring fully revised and updated chapters throughout, the second edition contains 90 pages of new material and features the following new sections, enabling this reference to remain as a leading text in the area:
* Expanded material on GPRS
* Includes IMS architecture (Rel'5) and GERAN (Rel'6) features
* Presents field trial results for AMR and narrowband
* Provides EGPRS deployment guidelines
* Features a new chapter on Service Performance An invaluable reference for Engineering Professionals, Research and Development Engineers, Business Development Managers, Technical Managers and Technical Specialists working for cellular operators